Vietnam attends IFAD Governing Council’s meeting
Đăng bởi viexpress.org
|IFAD President Gilbert Fossoun Houngbo speaks at the session|
In his opening speech, IFAD President Gilbert Fossoun Houngbo stressed the need to increase investment for long-term development in rural areas for a more stable and prosperous world.
Poverty can be the cause of instability and conflict, Houngbo said, noting that many conflicts and humanitarian crises happened in 2017, forcing many people to leave their homes and leading to immigration at the record level.
Many areas over the world have also experienced extreme weather and increasing poverty, he added.
He cited the data of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) saying that about 1.6 billion people in the world lived in fragility in 2016, 480 million of them were extremely poor.
He attributed the situation to instability, conflicts, inconsistent management, poor institutions, and inability to recover from economic crises and natural disasters.
Long-term investment in rural areas is the basic element to create stability, he said.
IFAD’s support projects in 2010-2015 helped 24 million people on the planet escape from poverty, he noted.
Participants focused their discussion on ways to sustainably invest in rural areas. They also set a goal of backing a nonrefundable assistance and loan programme of IFAD worth US$3.5 billion to promote poverty alleviation in developing countries.
IFAD, a specialised agency of the United Nations based in Rome, was established as an international financial institution in 1977 as one of the major outcomes of the 1974 World Food Conference.
Since 1978, IFAD has provided US$19.7 billion in non-refundable aid and low-interest loans for developing countries through many projects on poverty reduction, benefiting about 474 million people.
- Over 96 percent of workers in Da Nang return to work after Tet
- Swiss university holds seminar on Vietnam’s economy
- The students working through Tet
- VFF leader highly evaluates role of member organisations
- US$61.6 million spent to help disadvantaged people enjoy Tet
- Gov’t offices to trim 4,000 staff this year
- Vietnam works to stop illegal fishing
- Vietnamese students in Moscow celebrate Tet
- VN students need counseling: psychologists
- Hanoi sets up team to inspect apartments
- Ministry vows to improve management of festivals
- Vietnam beats US in new 4G speed survey, ranks second in SEA
- North Vietnam set for new cold spell
- Da Nang to roll out 6 new bus routes
- Quang Tri to set up biodiversity corridors
- Vietnamese bamboo species conserved in Dong Thap province
- 170 Vietnamese websites attacked during Lunar New Year
- Russia calls on Vietnam to participate in peace projects
- Vietnam targets to send 110,000 workers abroad
- ADB announces winners of instagram photo contest
- Made-in-Vietnam medicine use on the rise
- HCM City looks to IT for better administration
- Plenty of job openings in HCM City
- Dak Nong keeps wary eye on forests to prevent dry season fires
- Deputy PMs extend congratulations on Vietnamese Doctors’ Day
- Quang Tri teachers encourage pupils with lucky money to go to school
- Farmers struggle to treat pig waste
- Hospitals with financial autonomy need more funds
- Binh Duong: firms need over 20,000 labourers in early 2018
- Blood donation campaign opens in Hanoi
- President urges better public health care
- Vietnam, Laos youth unions forge stronger ties
- OceanBank case sent back for further investigation
- Teacher and retention recruitment crisis
- Hanoi pilots software to manage public car parks
- Giant dogs to take over Saigon flower street in celebration of Lunar New Year
- Jelly cubes pose choking risk in young children
- Binh Dinh to spend VND392 billion on UXO clearance
- Conference gathers int’l scientists to address pollution
- Binh Thuan cracks down on illegal sand mining
- Sen tắm nóng lạnh K-S370
- Vòi rửa lavabo nóng lạnh K-L370
- Vòi lavabo nóng lạnh K-L360
- Vòi sen nóng lạnh K-S350
- Bếp gas Malloca AS930B
- Bếp gas Malloca GHG 732A
- Bếp gas Malloca AS-9102G New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9103B New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9102B New
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử Pentax ETH-302
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử SOKKIA DT 510S
- Máy thủy bình laser Sincon SL-222
- Máy Thủy Bình Laser FUKUDA EK 453DP