Traditional calligraphy markets welcome Tet
Đăng bởi viexpress.org
“As a decade-long Vietnamese tradition, I’ll visit the markets to look for calligraphy works in hope of bringing happiness, success, wealth and health to my family,” said Tran Minh Anh, a garment worker in Tan Phu district.
Two traditional calligraphy markets in HCM City are located at the Youth Cultural House and the Labour Cultural House in District 1, attracting more than 50 calligraphers who are members of calligraphy clubs in the city and neighbouring provinces.
The artists, dressed in Ao dai, including men and women of varying ages, are showing their skills and selling calligraphy in black and yellow ink on red paper at the venue.
18-year-old calligrapher Vo Xuan Thanh of HCM City said it was the fifth time that he had participated in the calligraphy market at the Youth Cultural House.
“I love painting when I was a child. I began teaching myself calligraphy at the age of seven,” he said. “I’m very happy to introduce my calligraphy works to people and wish them a happy new year.”
Each calligraphy work is priced from VND30,000 to VND200,000 (US$1.3 - 8.8), depending on the craftsmanship, size and materials. Large works are VND400,000 (US$17.6) or more.
The calligraphers are taking requests from visitors for words to write on red lucky money envelopes as well. The envelopes cost from VND30,000 for a set of five.
Most visitors prefer buying lucky money envelopes and small calligraphy pictures to hang on mai (ochna) trees, according to Thanh.
This year, the market has offered products in leather like wallets and handbags. They are painted with images of landscapes, flowers, mascots and pets, priced from VND50,000 (US$2.2).
Apart from looking for calligraphy works, several residents and foreigners visit the markets for beautiful, colourful photos.
The market is decorated with apricot and peach blossom trees, while the calligraphers sitting on mats are arranged in an oval shape symbolising peace, similar to the calligraphy markets in the past.
The calligraphy market is one of the cultural traits during Tet in HCM City, along with the Tao Dan Flower Festival and Nguyen Hue Flower Street.
Both markets at the Youth Cultural House and the Labour Cultural House will remain open until February 15 (Lunar New Year’s Eve).
- Bac Ninh to host love duet singing festival
- Spring festival to honour national ethnic cultures
- Numerous festivals kick off amid Tet atmosphere
- French photographer to build Co Tu museum in Quang Nam
- Ngan Anh to strut Los Angeles catwalk
- Quang Ninh province to go vibrant with Yen Tu spring festival
- HCM city offers attractive activities during lunar New Year festival
- The dog in Vietnam’s folk culture
- Retired police officer scours country for Tay Nguyen artefacts
- Buddhist followers, visitors flock to Keo Pagoda festival
- Xoi – a quick fix for empty stomach
- Art curator promotes Vietnamese art to the world
- Mythical creatures enrich Vietnamese culture
- Three artifacts in Bac Ninh named national treasures
- Unique paintings made from sugar palm leaves
- Tet customs of Vietnamese ethnic groups
- Project to restore golden paintings underway
- More than a bowl of noodles, “pho” is history
- New Year customs enrich Vietnamese culture
- Vietnamese literary translator honoured with Russian award
- Vietnam Poetry Day 2018 to feature various activities
- Fireworks festival set to light up Danang skies for 2 months
- Over 100 artisans join Gia Lai ethnic festival
- Thua Thien-Hue holds wrestling bout to warm up new year
- Words of wisdom written for successful year
- Vietnamese in Czech Republic seek ways to preserve Vasiljev’s heritage
- Hanoi to host first dragon boat racing festival
- Phu Tho: festival dedicated to nation’s legendary mother
- Tet book fairs rake in money
- English vocalist performs in HCM City
- New project to promote lotus tea in Hanoi
- Korean stars to join Korea-Vietnam Food & Culture Festival 2017
- Autistic artists display rich souls in painting
- Thua Thien – Hue VBS convenes 7th congress
- Int’l Women’s Day best wishes from Kong stars
- Vietnamese water puppetry grows in stature
- Buddhist festival kicks off in Dien Bien
- Local designer returns to Amazon Fashion Week Tokyo
- Art appreciation workshop opens in Hanoi on Mar. 21
- First ever Hanoi Mardi Gras Festival to cheer up LGBT communities
- Sen tắm nóng lạnh K-S370
- Vòi rửa lavabo nóng lạnh K-L370
- Vòi lavabo nóng lạnh K-L360
- Vòi sen nóng lạnh K-S350
- Bếp gas Malloca AS930B
- Bếp gas Malloca GHG 732A
- Bếp gas Malloca AS-9102G New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9103B New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9102B New
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử Pentax ETH-302
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử SOKKIA DT 510S
- Máy thủy bình laser Sincon SL-222
- Máy Thủy Bình Laser FUKUDA EK 453DP