Tourism growth is not just about numbers
Đăng bởi viexpress.org
A: The high number of foreign tourists visiting our country. It was the first time we welcomed 10 million foreign visitors, along with 62 million Vietnamese tourists. As a result, tourism revenue reached a record VND400 trillion (US$17.73 billion) and generated more than 1.7 million jobs.
The development of the tourism sector has also created a push for related economic sectors to develop, including commerce and transportation.
However, in the 2016 global survey on tourism competitiveness, our tourist industry only ranked 75 out of 141 participating countries. With such an international ranking, Vietnam needs to do a lot more to attract foreign tourists, particularly through its Law on Tourism - the revised version of which is expected to be adopted by the National Assembly soon.
|Foreign visitors at Hue Citadel in Hue City, Thua Thien-Hue Province|
Q: In your opinion, what were the key reasons for the 2016 success?
A: The most important factor was the remarkable effort by all staff in the industry over many years, particularly in 2016, starting with action plans and policies formulated by the central Government, down to the grass roots level. All 63 provinces and cities have come up with their own specific plans and tourism products in order to attract more tourists.
If in the past, a tour across two or three provinces or several regions was not listed on many tour programmes, in 2016 it became popular and was highly appreciated by the tourists.
The second success I should mention was the Government’s decision to give visa waivers to tourists from certain countries and to Overseas Vietnamese. This policy has been described as a major breakthrough that led to the increase in tourism.
And last but not least, Vietnam is a safe destination for foreign tourists in the context of instabilities in the world.
Q: According to the Asia Pacific Tourism Association, only some 6% of tourists return to Vietnam after their first time. Does the data tell you anything?
A: I was a little bit upset. It is a good lesson for us and we should think positively. If the purpose of a tour is just sightseeing, we will go to that place one time only and reserve our time and money to explore other places.
In other words, whether the visitors come back or not, depends on several factors. But in this case, we have to carry out a deep analysis to see whether tours are carefully arranged and conducted and whether the tourists were happy with them.
In my opinion, we should also arrange different forms of tourism like convention and exhibition tourism, or seminar tourism, shopping tourism and others.
Q: Do you have any comments on the Party Politburo resolution on turning the tourism sector into a key economic industry?
A: I can’t agree more with the goal set in the document.
However, from the perspective of a researcher, in order to turn the tourism sector into a key economic industry accounting for 10% of the GDP, there are quite a lot of things we have to do.
In 2016, as I have mentioned, our tourism industry ranked 75 of 141 countries participating in a survey on its competitive edge. Frankly speaking, our ranking is even lower than Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia.
Q: In your opinion, what must the tourism industry do to achieve the goals set by the Party’s Resolution?
A: I don’t think the tourism sector can do by itself. It needs support from the whole of society and active participation of all sectors. The second point I want to mention is the imperative to change the concept of tourism development. Until now, when we talk about tourism development, the first and foremost we mention is the number of visitors. It is high time for us to look at another factor – the growth quality.
The growth quality means that tourists’ stay is longer and their spending higher; or that tours are providing more jobs. That’s why in my opinion, tourism must be developed to be sustainable, not for the sake of a running competition.
- 2017: Vietnam among world’s 10 fastest growing destinations
- Lotus farm-tourism model faces market hurdles in Mekong
- Visitors pour into Can Tho’s entertainment spots
- Mong man turns home into business
- Almost 375,000 tourists visit Hanoi during Tet holidays
- A travel through time: Old photos of Tet in Hanoi ninety years ago
- One day at Muong Culture Space Museum
- Bai Xep, a village full of heroes
- Dogs in bags and boxes: Vietnamese pet owners solve long holiday headache in hilarious ways
- Five savory signature local dishes in Bac Giang province
- Vietnam looks like an entire different kingdom in these 1990s photos
- A movie a day for 60 years: cinema sustains a Berlin love
- Hai Phong–city of bridges
- Con Son-Kiep Bac - A model of conservation
- A million ways to light up for the Lunar New Year
- 11 places for coffee break from Tet party spree
- Localities welcome first foreign tourists of Lunar New Year
- Ringing in the New Year in Saigon pagoda
- Thousands queue for blessings in calligraphy at Vietnam's first university
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux split: statement
- Cau Nhi temple worships little dog
- On Hanoi's giant lake, amateurs stir up colorful boat race
- Thousands block Hanoi's main street outside overcrowded pagoda to wish away bad luck
- Documentary about famed Vietnamese Buddhist monk to hit local screens
- Flow of tourists to Dak Lak surges 20% during Tet
- A real-life love story hidden in century-old Vietnamese house
- Da Lat flooded with garbage as Lunar New Year holiday comes to an end
- Nearly 120,000 visitors to Hue city over Tet holidays
- A real-life love story hidden in century-old Vietnamese house
- Da Lat draws more than 280,000 visitors over Tet holidays
- Fancy one of the world’s greatest food experiences? Try Hanoi
- Hop-on Hop-off bus service introduced in Hanoi
- CNN screens promotional videos on beauty of Hanoi
- Three Vietnamese cities named among the most visited in the world
- House in Saigon's narrow alley features patterned brick walls
- #TGIF: Go out and unsuck your life this weekend
- Exploring Lai Chau cuisine
- Dai Bai Bronze Casting Village
- Hue’s Imperial City shines bright in new promo video
- Tourism growth is not just about numbers
- Sen tắm nóng lạnh K-S370
- Vòi rửa lavabo nóng lạnh K-L370
- Vòi lavabo nóng lạnh K-L360
- Vòi sen nóng lạnh K-S350
- Bếp gas Malloca AS930B
- Bếp gas Malloca GHG 732A
- Bếp gas Malloca AS-9102G New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9103B New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9102B New
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử Pentax ETH-302
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử SOKKIA DT 510S
- Máy thủy bình laser Sincon SL-222
- Máy Thủy Bình Laser FUKUDA EK 453DP