Teacher and retention recruitment crisis
Đăng bởi viexpress.org
Despite the order to cut staff, state schools still face teacher redundancy problems as decisions are made by the departments of internal affairs instead of the education sector.
State schools face teacher redundancy problems
For the past five years, the Ministry of Education and Training have constantly emphasised the need to cut staff at schools. The ministry tried to deal with the problems by re-training teachers and sending them to nursery schools. But this has proved controversial.
Nguyen Kim Phung, director of the ministry's Higher Education Department, said the enrollment quota for teacher training in 2014 was 84,000. It was cut to 68,000 in 2016 and 54,000 in 2017 but Phung said the number was still too high.
According to Decision 732 issued by the prime minister about training teachers and managers for the 2016-2020 period with a view to 2025, Vietnam only needs 190,000 more teachers. However, the enrolment quota for 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 academic years are already 122,000.
Teacher quality was also in question as the entrance scores to many teacher training universities this year were extremely low.
Le Truong Tung, head of FPT University said forecasting human resources for teachers was much easier than in other sectors as they can have an accurate estimate of the number of students and teachers for each grade and subject.
"The Ministry of Education and Training asked universities to cut the enrolment quota every year but the implementation has not been effective," he said.
Tung suggested following India where a Bachelor of Education is a postgraduate course offered for those interested in pursuing a career in teaching.
Teacher training universities set an enrollment quota much higher than the major universities under the Ministry of Education and Training. However, the decisions about teachers are made by the local departments of internal affairs based on suggestions by schools, not the ministry.
One of the complaints is how teachers are assigned to teach subjects they are not specialised in to deal with shortages or redundancies. For example, if there are a lack of teachers for music and art, maths teachers may be assigned to teach those subjects.
Statistics from the Ministry of Education and Training show that Vietnam has about 1.1 million teachers. Primary schools alone employ 400,000 teachers.
Secondary and high schools face teacher shortages and redundancies depending on the subject and location. Thai Binh Province has 1,191 unemployed secondary teachers while Thanh Hoa has 2,188, Nghe An has 1,742 and Quang Nam has 1,096 unemployed teachers.
Meanwhile, nursery schools lack 33,000 teachers. Hanoi lacks 2,696 nursery teachers, Son La Province lacks 1,133 and Gia Lai Province lacks 1,196.
- Over 1,200 professors, associate professors appointed in final sprint
- PM orders probe into professor appointments
- Five men named professors at young age
- Can Tho’s English teaching troubles
- Universities to set student quotas
- Da Nang gets IT education gifts from S Korea
- Poor facilities hinder implementation of new education program
- Teachers take Tet to the hills
- Students earn their fees during Tet
- HCM City children complain of overload in school curriculum
- Unemployed university grads far exceeds jobless vocational school grads
- HCM City aims for all students to learn English from first grade
- VN plans to send unemployed university graduates to Japan
- Universities to set their own admissions quotas
- The ‘teachers’ valley’ in Khanh Hoa province
- State-owned schools complain about restrictions in autonomy policy
- Schools in Vietnam to enroll students through assessment tests
- Nat’l reforms make teachers redundant
- Self-harm behaviors increasing among students
- University students ready for SMEA 2018
- The students working through Tet
- VN students need counseling: psychologists
- Government targets vocational training for 2.2m people
- National reforms make teachers redundant
- Male teachers stay the course on a difficult road
- Norwegian professor of wireless modeling gives free lectures in Vietnam
- 8-29% of youth have mental health problems, 2-3% commit suicide: report
- Vietnamese youth clamour for training
- Vietnam PhD holders produce little quality research
- Young engineer develops software for self-propelled vehicles
- Vocational training drains State budget
- Education Ministry plan to send uni grads as guest workers unrealistic, experts say
- Why do so many uni grads remain unemployed?
- Children’s voices must be heard
- HCM City child abuse claim under investigation
- A small gesture, a life-changing experience
- STEM education can succeed at schools with poor conditions
- STEM education experiencing growing pains in Vietnam
- HCM City urges education investment
- New Zealand Education Fair to open in HCMC, Hanoi this month
- Sen tắm nóng lạnh K-S370
- Vòi rửa lavabo nóng lạnh K-L370
- Vòi lavabo nóng lạnh K-L360
- Vòi sen nóng lạnh K-S350
- Bếp gas Malloca AS930B
- Bếp gas Malloca GHG 732A
- Bếp gas Malloca AS-9102G New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9103B New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9102B New
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử Pentax ETH-302
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử SOKKIA DT 510S
- Máy thủy bình laser Sincon SL-222
- Máy Thủy Bình Laser FUKUDA EK 453DP