Over 1,200 professors, associate professors appointed in final sprint
Đăng bởi viexpress.org
MOH's Minister Nguyen Thi Kim Tien is among 85 candidates to be awarded the professor title
According to SPC’s secretary general Tran Van Nhung, 1,141 candidates met the requirements to become associate professors and 85 to become professors.
Minister of Health Nguyen Thi Kim Tien is among the 85 candidates to be awarded the professor title. Tien is fluent in both English and French and has had 13 scientific research articles published internationally in the last years.
Regarding the quality of candidates, Nhung said it was far higher than previous years with a higher number of ISI/Scopus articles, a lower average age of candidates (53 in 2017 instead of 55 in 2016), and considerably improved English skills.
Nhung also pointed out special characteristics of this year’s candidates, including the increase in the number of lecturers, the high proportion of 28-29 percent of female professors/associate professors (the figure was 25 percent in the past).
|The list of candidates who met requirements for the titles of professor and associate professor in 2017 released by the State Professorship Council (SPC) includes 1,226 names, a sharp increase of 60 percent compared to the year before.|
A Nung ethnic minority woman was one of the candidates for the associate professor title.
Mentioning the high number of candidates this year, a professor of the Hanoi National University said that candidates are sprinting to get the professorship title before the new regulations on professor/associate professor appointment are issued.
The new regulation is expected to set very high requirements on candidates for professor/associate professor titles. With the high requirements, the decrease in the number of individuals to be approved to become professors/associate professors in the upcoming years is foreseeable.
Under the draft regulation, candidates not only have to have high achievements in scientific research, but also need to have fluent foreign language skills and have internationally published articles.
Bui Manh Nhi, former director of the Ministry of Education and Training’s Organization and Personnel Department, also said it is understandable that candidates are trying to obtain the professorship title this year, before the regulation is amended.
However, Nhi said that the selected candidates all deserve the title and the high number of such candidates is not a surprise because universities now make hefty investments to improve the quality of their teaching staff.
Nevertheless, despite the affirmation, the quality of this year’s professors/associate professors is still questionable.
Tien Phong cited its statistics as reporting that of 85 selected professors, only 56, or 66 percent, have scientific articles published in ISI/Scopus journals. This means that 34 percent don’t have internationally published articles.
Among 1,141 selected associate professors, only 532 have internationally published articles, which means that 53 percent don’t have ISI/Scopus articles. This is believed to be an important factor to assess professors/associate professors’ capability.
- PM orders probe into professor appointments
- Five men named professors at young age
- Can Tho’s English teaching troubles
- Universities to set student quotas
- Da Nang gets IT education gifts from S Korea
- Poor facilities hinder implementation of new education program
- Teachers take Tet to the hills
- Students earn their fees during Tet
- HCM City children complain of overload in school curriculum
- Unemployed university grads far exceeds jobless vocational school grads
- HCM City aims for all students to learn English from first grade
- VN plans to send unemployed university graduates to Japan
- Universities to set their own admissions quotas
- The ‘teachers’ valley’ in Khanh Hoa province
- State-owned schools complain about restrictions in autonomy policy
- Schools in Vietnam to enroll students through assessment tests
- Nat’l reforms make teachers redundant
- Self-harm behaviors increasing among students
- University students ready for SMEA 2018
- Schools fear shortage of qualified teachers for new program
- The students working through Tet
- VN students need counseling: psychologists
- Government targets vocational training for 2.2m people
- National reforms make teachers redundant
- Male teachers stay the course on a difficult road
- Norwegian professor of wireless modeling gives free lectures in Vietnam
- 8-29% of youth have mental health problems, 2-3% commit suicide: report
- Vietnamese youth clamour for training
- Vietnam PhD holders produce little quality research
- Young engineer develops software for self-propelled vehicles
- Vocational training drains State budget
- Education Ministry plan to send uni grads as guest workers unrealistic, experts say
- Why do so many uni grads remain unemployed?
- Children’s voices must be heard
- HCM City child abuse claim under investigation
- A small gesture, a life-changing experience
- STEM education can succeed at schools with poor conditions
- STEM education experiencing growing pains in Vietnam
- HCM City urges education investment
- New Zealand Education Fair to open in HCMC, Hanoi this month
- Sen tắm nóng lạnh K-S370
- Vòi rửa lavabo nóng lạnh K-L370
- Vòi lavabo nóng lạnh K-L360
- Vòi sen nóng lạnh K-S350
- Bếp gas Malloca AS930B
- Bếp gas Malloca GHG 732A
- Bếp gas Malloca AS-9102G New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9103B New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9102B New
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử Pentax ETH-302
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử SOKKIA DT 510S
- Máy thủy bình laser Sincon SL-222
- Máy Thủy Bình Laser FUKUDA EK 453DP