Northern hospitals brace for freezing temperatures
Đăng bởi viexpress.org
The strong cold snap hitting Hanoi and northern provinces over the past few days pulled the temperatures down to around ten degrees Celsius. Mountainous areas have witnessed frost.
As a result, the number of patients, especially the elderly and children, admitted to hospitals for winter diseases has surged. Many hospitals have experienced overcrowding.
Old patients mostly contract heart, bone-related and respiratory diseases. The number of old patients suffering from stroke has increased by 15% since the cold snap began, Sai Gon Giai Phong (Liberated Sai Gon) newspaper reported.
Associate Professor Tran Minh Dien, deputy director of the National Paediatrics Hospital, told the newspaper that over the past few days, nearly 4,000 children have been sent to his hospital everyday, most of them infected with respiratory system illnesses and diarrhea caused by virus. The Paediatrics Department of Bach Mai Hospital and Saint Paul Hospital admitted significantly more children (10 to 20%) than normal. Some children were rushed to the hospital with serious pneumonia.
Waiting for his health check up at the National Geriatric Hospital, a patient named Tuan, 67, told Sai Gon Giai Phong, “I am infected with chronic bronchitis. Whenever the weather changes, especially when it is rainy and cold, I feel tightness in the chest, find it difficult to breathe and cough all day long. I am deprived of sleep”
“I have been here for nearly two hours waiting for my health examination,” he said.
Professor Ngo Quy Chau, deputy director of Bach Mai Hospital and director of the hospital’s Respiratory Centre, told Lao Dong (Labour) newspaper that respiratory illnesses are a leading cause of other illnesses and even death. Cold weather can also make chronic diseases such as asthma, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) flare up.
Cold weather not only overcrowds central-level hospitals but also crowds local hospitals in northern mountainous provinces including Lao Cai, Yen Bai, Cao Bang and Lang Son.
Hospitals have made preparation to accommodate patients and their relatives.
Hospital K, Hospital for Tropical Diseases and Vietnam-Germany Hospital have prepared heaters and air-conditioners at the medical checkup areas, treatment rooms and operation spaces. More blankets are being supplied for patients.
The Emergency and Medical Checkup departments of hospitals provide meals at the patients’ rooms for heavily infected patients, those with disadvantaged conditions and those who do not have relatives.
The Bach Mai Hospital has mobilised 30 heaters for areas serving out-patients.
Tran Thi Nhi Ha, deputy director of Hanoi’s Health Department, said that the department has required hospitals to mobilise heating equipment and blankets for in-patients, ensure warmth for patients in waiting areas and pay attention to the elderly, newborns and children.
Medical treatment facilities must ensure medicine, beds and emergency equipment to respond to serious conditions caused by abnormal weather conditions such as high blood pressure, stroke, influenza, acute respiratory diseases.
The Paediatrics Department of Lao Cai Obstetrics and Pediatrics Hospital has brought in an additional 40 beds, increasing the number of beds to 100.
Doctors of National Hospital for Tropical Diseases said that cold weather poses risks to patients with high blood pressure and to old patients. The risks of stroke may be reduced by keeping patients warm in a windproof room.
Parents should keep their children warm and provide them with nutritious meals to increase their resistance to disease. Children face a high risk of flu, diarrhea, measles, whooping cough and chicken pox during winter and spring. Parents are advised to ensure their children receive vaccines.
- Three Chinese men detained for using fake ATM cards
- Vietnam's corruption ranking improves amid global stagnation: survey
- Sediment loss in Mekong River killing southern delta
- Hailstorms destroy hundreds of houses in Nghe An
- Over 96 percent of workers in Da Nang return to work after Tet
- Swiss university holds seminar on Vietnam’s economy
- The students working through Tet
- VFF leader highly evaluates role of member organisations
- US$61.6 million spent to help disadvantaged people enjoy Tet
- Gov’t offices to trim 4,000 staff this year
- Vietnam works to stop illegal fishing
- Vietnamese students in Moscow celebrate Tet
- VN students need counseling: psychologists
- Hanoi sets up team to inspect apartments
- Ministry vows to improve management of festivals
- Vietnam beats US in new 4G speed survey, ranks second in SEA
- North Vietnam set for new cold spell
- Da Nang to roll out 6 new bus routes
- Quang Tri to set up biodiversity corridors
- Vietnamese bamboo species conserved in Dong Thap province
- Hai Duong’s Mo Trach village of doctoral laureates honoured
- Wrongdoings in PetroVietnam’s investment in Ocean Bank to be tried next month
- VFF leader pledges to promote leaning society
- Thua Thien-Hue shifts to biodegradable seedling bags
- Made-in-Vietnam medicine use on the rise
- HCM City looks to IT for better administration
- Plenty of job openings in HCM City
- Dak Nong keeps wary eye on forests to prevent dry season fires
- Deputy PMs extend congratulations on Vietnamese Doctors’ Day
- Quang Tri teachers encourage pupils with lucky money to go to school
- President urges better public health care
- Vietnam, Laos youth unions forge stronger ties
- OceanBank case sent back for further investigation
- Teacher and retention recruitment crisis
- Giant dogs to take over Saigon flower street in celebration of Lunar New Year
- Hanoi pilots software to manage public car parks
- Jelly cubes pose choking risk in young children
- Binh Dinh to spend VND392 billion on UXO clearance
- Conference gathers int’l scientists to address pollution
- Binh Thuan cracks down on illegal sand mining
- Sen tắm nóng lạnh K-S370
- Vòi rửa lavabo nóng lạnh K-L370
- Vòi lavabo nóng lạnh K-L360
- Vòi sen nóng lạnh K-S350
- Bếp gas Malloca AS930B
- Bếp gas Malloca GHG 732A
- Bếp gas Malloca AS-9102G New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9103B New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9102B New
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử Pentax ETH-302
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử SOKKIA DT 510S
- Máy thủy bình laser Sincon SL-222
- Máy Thủy Bình Laser FUKUDA EK 453DP