HCM City looks to turn landfills into leisure
Đăng bởi viexpress.org
Nguyen Toan Thang, director of the city’s Department of Natural Resources and Environment, spoke at a recent meeting with city leaders about the proposals.
HCM City has three landfills that have stopped receiving garbage, covering a total area of about 118ha, including Dong Thanh landfill in Hoc Mon district, Go Cat in Binh Tan district and Phuoc Hiep in Cu Chi district.
These landfills still contain more than 25 million tonnes of waste.
Six investors, mostly local, have submitted proposals to the city. Some investors have proposed resolving all the buried waste and using the land to build golf courses and parks.
Thang said the city is considering the proposals.
Dr. Che Dinh Ly of the Institute of Environment and Resources at Vietnam National University said the landfill area should be used for a new park and recreational sports area.
If property is built on the land, the city should give priority to warehouses rather than housing because of the risk to people’s health, he said.
The city also needs to collect public opinions on how to use the land, he said.
Dr. Nguyen Dinh Tuan of the University of Natural Resources and Environment said the city’s top concerns should be with the environment.
A landfill can have an environmental impact after closure for 10 years.
Dr. Le Hung Anh, head of the Institute of Science, Technology and Environmental Management of the HCM City University of Industry, said the city should consider waste as a resource that brings benefits.
“I think it’s important to use the land to serve the community. Golf courses only serve a small group of people,” he said.
HCM City discharges between 7,500 and 8,000 tonnes of garbage every day, most of which end up at landfills, according to the department.
Under an urban development plan, the city will need VND500 trillion (US$22.4 billion) to develop infrastructure by 2020. Of the fund, 34 percent is expected to come from the State budget and the rest from investors.
- Blood donation campaign opens in Hanoi
- Three Chinese men detained for using fake ATM cards
- Vietnam's corruption ranking improves amid global stagnation: survey
- Sediment loss in Mekong River killing southern delta
- Hailstorms destroy hundreds of houses in Nghe An
- Over 96 percent of workers in Da Nang return to work after Tet
- Swiss university holds seminar on Vietnam’s economy
- The students working through Tet
- VFF leader highly evaluates role of member organisations
- US$61.6 million spent to help disadvantaged people enjoy Tet
- Gov’t offices to trim 4,000 staff this year
- Vietnam works to stop illegal fishing
- Vietnamese students in Moscow celebrate Tet
- VN students need counseling: psychologists
- Hanoi sets up team to inspect apartments
- Ministry vows to improve management of festivals
- Vietnam beats US in new 4G speed survey, ranks second in SEA
- North Vietnam set for new cold spell
- Da Nang to roll out 6 new bus routes
- Quang Tri to set up biodiversity corridors
- New hospital opens to serve IP workers in Vinh Long
- Hai Duong’s Mo Trach village of doctoral laureates honoured
- Wrongdoings in PetroVietnam’s investment in Ocean Bank to be tried next month
- VFF leader pledges to promote leaning society
- Thua Thien-Hue shifts to biodegradable seedling bags
- Made-in-Vietnam medicine use on the rise
- HCM City looks to IT for better administration
- Plenty of job openings in HCM City
- Dak Nong keeps wary eye on forests to prevent dry season fires
- Deputy PMs extend congratulations on Vietnamese Doctors’ Day
- President urges better public health care
- Vietnam, Laos youth unions forge stronger ties
- OceanBank case sent back for further investigation
- Teacher and retention recruitment crisis
- Giant dogs to take over Saigon flower street in celebration of Lunar New Year
- Hanoi pilots software to manage public car parks
- Jelly cubes pose choking risk in young children
- Binh Dinh to spend VND392 billion on UXO clearance
- Conference gathers int’l scientists to address pollution
- Binh Thuan cracks down on illegal sand mining
- Sen tắm nóng lạnh K-S370
- Vòi rửa lavabo nóng lạnh K-L370
- Vòi lavabo nóng lạnh K-L360
- Vòi sen nóng lạnh K-S350
- Bếp gas Malloca AS930B
- Bếp gas Malloca GHG 732A
- Bếp gas Malloca AS-9102G New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9103B New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9102B New
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử Pentax ETH-302
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử SOKKIA DT 510S
- Máy thủy bình laser Sincon SL-222
- Máy Thủy Bình Laser FUKUDA EK 453DP