Experts warn of earthenware stove’s dangers
Đăng bởi viexpress.org
|Its latest survey on hundreds of households in Ba Dinh, Dong Da and Soc Son districts showed that the rate of residents using coal stove was 73, 63 and 56 percent, respectively (Photo: vietq.vn)|
Statistics of the Poisoning Prevention Centre under the Bach Mai Hospital showed that dozens of patients need treatment for coal air poisoning per year, and fatalities have been reported.
Its latest survey on hundreds of households in Ba Dinh, Dong Da and Soc Son districts showed that the rate of residents using coal stove was 73, 63% and 56%, respectively. A coal stove costs about VND100,000-VND200,000 (US$4-US$8).
Nguyen Thi Hoa, a Dong Da district resident, said that she has sold rice vermicelli for the past two years, using a coal stove.
“It takes only VND3,000 (US$0.1) per piece of coal for the stove, I can cook for two hours,” she said.
Hoa added that all restaurants nearby use the cooker.
“I know that it is poisonous, but if I use a modern cooker, I will not have profits, and would even suffer losses,” she said.
Le Dinh Cong, a resident in Dong Da district, said his family used a gas cooker, but many neighbours use coal stoves.
“All of my small alley is full of coal smell causing difficulty breathing,” he said.
“I’m not sure it is because of coal stoves or not, but every night I feel a tightness across my chest, dizzyness and difficulty breathing,” said Cong.
Nguyen Thanh Mai, a doctor of the Bach Mai Hospital, said coal stoves could lead to different diseases such as pneumonia, bronchitis, lung cancer and coal air poisoning.
But, she said, it was difficult to ban the stoves, especially for those with low income.
|“We need to give more instruction to residents to limit the stoves’ harm,” said Mai.
People should use the stoves in airy places, and not it in narrow or closed rooms to avoid poisoning, she said.
In 2011, a mother and her two children in the central province of Ha Tinh died of coal air poisoning after using coal stove to warm their house at night.
In February 2014, a man in the central province of Thanh Hoa passed out unconscious whereas his daughter died after using the stove to stay warm.
- Three Chinese men detained for using fake ATM cards
- Vietnam's corruption ranking improves amid global stagnation: survey
- Sediment loss in Mekong River killing southern delta
- Hailstorms destroy hundreds of houses in Nghe An
- Over 96 percent of workers in Da Nang return to work after Tet
- Swiss university holds seminar on Vietnam’s economy
- The students working through Tet
- VFF leader highly evaluates role of member organisations
- US$61.6 million spent to help disadvantaged people enjoy Tet
- Gov’t offices to trim 4,000 staff this year
- Vietnam works to stop illegal fishing
- Vietnamese students in Moscow celebrate Tet
- VN students need counseling: psychologists
- Hanoi sets up team to inspect apartments
- Ministry vows to improve management of festivals
- Vietnam beats US in new 4G speed survey, ranks second in SEA
- North Vietnam set for new cold spell
- Da Nang to roll out 6 new bus routes
- Quang Tri to set up biodiversity corridors
- Vietnamese bamboo species conserved in Dong Thap province
- Hai Duong’s Mo Trach village of doctoral laureates honoured
- Wrongdoings in PetroVietnam’s investment in Ocean Bank to be tried next month
- VFF leader pledges to promote leaning society
- Thua Thien-Hue shifts to biodegradable seedling bags
- Made-in-Vietnam medicine use on the rise
- HCM City looks to IT for better administration
- Plenty of job openings in HCM City
- Dak Nong keeps wary eye on forests to prevent dry season fires
- Deputy PMs extend congratulations on Vietnamese Doctors’ Day
- Quang Tri teachers encourage pupils with lucky money to go to school
- President urges better public health care
- Vietnam, Laos youth unions forge stronger ties
- OceanBank case sent back for further investigation
- Teacher and retention recruitment crisis
- Giant dogs to take over Saigon flower street in celebration of Lunar New Year
- Hanoi pilots software to manage public car parks
- Jelly cubes pose choking risk in young children
- Binh Dinh to spend VND392 billion on UXO clearance
- Conference gathers int’l scientists to address pollution
- Binh Thuan cracks down on illegal sand mining
- Sen tắm nóng lạnh K-S370
- Vòi rửa lavabo nóng lạnh K-L370
- Vòi lavabo nóng lạnh K-L360
- Vòi sen nóng lạnh K-S350
- Bếp gas Malloca AS930B
- Bếp gas Malloca GHG 732A
- Bếp gas Malloca AS-9102G New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9103B New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9102B New
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử Pentax ETH-302
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử SOKKIA DT 510S
- Máy thủy bình laser Sincon SL-222
- Máy Thủy Bình Laser FUKUDA EK 453DP