Drug retail market expands with new players
Đăng bởi viexpress.org
On December 18, 2017, The Gioi Di Dong (Mobile World), a big mobile phone distribution chain, opened its first drugstore called An Khang, officially setting foot in the US$5 billion market.
The Gioi Di Dong has taken over Phuc An Khang distribution chain. Though The Gioi Di Dong has big influence with powerful financial capability, it is just a ‘newcomer’ in the drug distribution market.
Nguyen Duc Tai said that The Gioi Di Dong is now just an ‘apprentice’ in the field and has to be cautious with every step in the specific market.
However, he stated that The Gioi Di Dong will open 50-100 drug stores in 2018.
Tai is optimistic about his decision because he believes the risk is low. “The scale of drugstores is small compared with The Gioi Di Dong’s capability. Even if we fail, this won’t affect our general business,” Tai said.
Besides The Gioi Di Dong, FPT Retail, also a big hi-tech product distributor, has jumped into the drug market. The company invested in Long Chau drugstore chain and began doing business in early 2018.
In mid-August 2017, Digiworld, a digital product distributor, joined forces with Vinamedic to distribute functional food.
IBM, a market survey firm, predicted that the Vietnamese drug retail market was worth US$4.7 billion in 2017. The figure is expected to reach US$7.7 billion by 2021 and US$16.1 billion by 2026, which means 11% growth rate annually.
Also according to IBM, Vietnamese spending on drugs will rise from US$56 per head in 2017 to US$85 in 2020.
Realizing the great potential of the market, a series of drug retail chains have been set up, namely Phano, Pharmacity, Sapharco and Vistar.
However, according to FPT Securities, traditional drug retailers have a big weak point – the lack of distributors and suppliers. Meanwhile, these are two important links to expand market share.
About market performance in 2018, chair of CVI Pharma Phan Van Hieu said the market will still be controlled by traditional drugstores.
“I don’t think the drug retail market is easy, even for big guys like The Gioi Di Dong and FPT Retail,” he said, adding that there are many barriers in the drug market.
- Property market attractive to both eastern, western investors
- Vietnam - strongest gold jewellery market in 2017
- HCM City gets new speciality market
- FMCG forecasted to grow fast during Lunar New Year festivities
- Raging competition on e-commerce market promises to heat further up
- Natural cosmetics are vitalised
- Fuel price hike strains businesses
- Property transactions in Hanoi rise 13.8%
- Many Korean goods to be exempted from tax in Vietnam
- Market records more property sales in January
- As car imports slow, sales of domestically assembled cars go up
- Blockchain to change world real estate market
- Petrol prices remain unchanged ahead of Lunar New Year
- Land fever grips Khanh Hoa provinces
- Starbucks to open in Da Nang this month
- Local e-commerce market now a playing field for Chinese businesses
- Gas price down VND1,667 per kg in the south from February 1
- Vietnam's exports to US face tough time ahead
- Will Thaibev and other brewers remap Vietnam’s beer market?
- iPhone X orders weak globally, but strong in Vietnam
- Opportunities for newcomers
- Garment exports to China show impressive growth
- FMCG market shows positive growth
- Another vibrant year awaits Vietnam’s property market
- Increasing affluence drives Vietnamese cruise market
- Grab makes takeover bid for Uber’s SEA operations, including Vietnam: reports
- Ministry works to stabilise market following Tet
- RON 95 petrol price drops by VND400 per litre
- Price of cashew nuts surges high during Tet
- Vietnamese spend US$18m importing Tet flowers and plants
- EU – major importer of Vietnam bamboo, rattan, sedge products
- Ford to train more women employees in Asian market
- Catfish exports to US decline
- Dairy product companies push to lift milk price cap
- SOEs to divest from banks on positive market outlook
- Smart home gadgets fail to find a mass market
- Tra fish exports to Brazil up 17.2%
- Seafood exports up nearly 8% in first quarter
- Local business imports nearly 1,800 Australian cows
- US remains top export market of Vietnam
- Sen tắm nóng lạnh K-S370
- Vòi rửa lavabo nóng lạnh K-L370
- Vòi lavabo nóng lạnh K-L360
- Vòi sen nóng lạnh K-S350
- Bếp gas Malloca AS930B
- Bếp gas Malloca GHG 732A
- Bếp gas Malloca AS-9102G New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9103B New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9102B New
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử Pentax ETH-302
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử SOKKIA DT 510S
- Máy thủy bình laser Sincon SL-222
- Máy Thủy Bình Laser FUKUDA EK 453DP