Australian cow imports drop dramatically
Đăng bởi viexpress.org
The number of cows at his farms reached 30,000 at times. Huy provided thousands of cows to the market in his heyday.
However, Huy now has only several thousand cows. The imports have dropped by 50% and parts of his farms are idle.
Some years ago, Son Thuy Ha Company had nearly 10 Australian cow breeding farms. But it has reduced the farming scale recently.
A representative of Son Thuy Ha said the company has had to cut imports because the products were no longer competitive.
He said 2013-2015 was the golden period for businesses and farmers who imported Australian cows.
In 2012, Vietnam imported 1,500 cows from Australia, while the figure soared 16,000 in 2013 and to 360,000 in 2015.
But the imports began slowing down in 2016, when only 200,000 cows were brought to Vietnam. The figure dropped by another half, though the import tariff was cut to zero percent.
Bach Duc Luu, director of the Center of Animal Health Zone 6, confirmed that the number of imported Australian cows dropped sharply last year, possibly because of slow sales.
According to Huy, Vietnam has great advantages in breeding cows, including supply of agricultural by-products (cassava, straw and maize). The expenses on feed account for the largest proportion in the total production costs.
However, as more frozen meat products have appeared with competitive prices, farmers living on fattening Australian cows have faced difficulties.
The import price of Australian cows is about US$3 per kilo, or VND66,000. However, farmers can sell at only VND63,000 per kilo in the domestic market.
Huy complained that his farming has also been affected because of unhealthy competition. Some businesses import buffalo meat from India and sell it as Australian beef.
Many farms in Dong Nai and Long An provinces have decided to breed Vietnamese cows instead of Australian cows. Vietnamese cows grow more slowly, while the profit expected is not high.
Even Hoang Anh Gia Lai, a big player in the field, also reported modest revenue of VND102 billion from selling Australian cows in 2017, a decrease of VND737 billion compared with the same period in 2016.
- Dong Nai-based firms keep stable activities after Tet
- VinaCapital buys BSR and PV Power shares for US$45 million
- Fees, retail services to be banks’ main income
- China outstrips US to become Vietnam’s largest export market
- Site clearance for Long Thanh airport needs nearly VND23 trillion
- PM requires Hoa Lac Hi-Tech Park to form startup ecosystem
- PM lauds Vietinbank, Vietcombank’s business results last year
- Viglacera builds Dong Van IV IP’s infrastructure
- Deputy PM directs improving SOEs’ efficiency
- PM lauds workers’ contributions to national development
- EVN resolved to ensure electricity supply
- PM Phuc highlights importance of Party leadership for State agencies
- PM okays ultra-thin glass project in Ninh Binh
- NA Vice Chairman: e-customs facilitate import-export activities
- Powering Vietnam’s electricity shift
- Gold shops prepare for surge on God of Wealth Day Read
- Final version of Trans-Pacific trade deal released
- PM urges prompt resumption of work following Tet holiday
- Japanese group builds auto parts factory in Thai Binh
- Vietnam sees boom in renewable energy projects
- Major infrastructure works begin in new year
- Thaco launches new agricultural machine factory
- Easy seaport procedures lauded
- Thailand, Vietnam look to stronger defence-security cooperation
- Competent agencies try to fight against adulteration of fuel
- ASEAN diplomats offer New Year greetings to Vietnam
- Gotu Kola plant earns Hue farmers a decent life
- President receives outgoing Mozambican Ambassador
- T&T gunning for strategic ownership in Vinafood 2
- PTSC to make $57 million investment aboard
- Japanese Emperor’s Vietnam visit lifts up bilateral relations
- Government to establish agency to manage State assets
- Remittances to HCM City hit US$3.3 billion
- Vinamilk eyes US$2.24 billion in revenue in 2017
- Japanese firms seek partners in Dong Nai province
- President requests absolute security for APEC 2017 events
- Agroviet 2017 to gather 300 firms
- Workshop spotlights sustainable seaweed cultivation
- Quang Ninh: cross-border trade flourishes
- MoIT: Production improves, trade unbalanced
- Sen tắm nóng lạnh K-S370
- Vòi rửa lavabo nóng lạnh K-L370
- Vòi lavabo nóng lạnh K-L360
- Vòi sen nóng lạnh K-S350
- Bếp gas Malloca AS930B
- Bếp gas Malloca GHG 732A
- Bếp gas Malloca AS-9102G New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9103B New
- Bếp gas Malloca AS9102B New
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử Pentax ETH-302
- Máy kinh vĩ điện tử SOKKIA DT 510S
- Máy thủy bình laser Sincon SL-222
- Máy Thủy Bình Laser FUKUDA EK 453DP